From: [EMAIL PROTECTED] [mailto:[EMAIL PROTECTED] On
Behalf Of Dennis Slice
Sent: Monday, October 25, 2004 2:29 AM
To: Mailing List - MorphMet
Subject: Morphometrics World News - random acts of kindness

On Friday last, University-Professor Dr. Fred Bookstein was secretly
observed helping an old lady off of the D-tram stop at Schottenring, Vienna,
Austria.

Prof.-Dr. Bookstein is one of the world's leading morphometricians and a key
figure in the Vienna School of morphometric analysis. However, his vast
knowledge, high standards, and energetic and direct style have left the
occasional graduate student and/or senior researcher trembling and pale,
making the reported action all the more noteworthy.

The witness, an eminent Viennese orthodontist, said that he knew Fred was a
famous scientist, but did not know he was also a "Boy Scout."

When confronted with the facts, Prof.-Dr. Bookstein admitted to the act and
said, "She told me in the most perfect German that the last step was too
high and asked me to help her." Despite the likely reduction in bone density
in such an elderly woman, Bookstein went on to report, "She put a lot more
weight on me than I expected."

Officials of the Austrian government could not be contacted for comment, but
this incident is not expected affect either Prof.Dr. Bookstein's
recently-acquired position as University Professor or his pending
permanent-resident status.

==
Replies will be sent to list.
For more information see http://life.bio.sunysb.edu/morph/morphmet.html.