From: thomas <sally.thom...@verizon.net>
To: Mosaic: A Reading Comprehension Strategies Email Group
<mosaic@literacyworkshop.org>
Sent: Thu, Jan 21, 2010 10:05 pm
Subject: Re: [MOSAIC] Top 5 literacy journals

For me I love the most language arts. But it usually shares research that is
most useful to me as a practitioner and usually more shares my own
perspectives which are constructivist since I am at heart unapologetically
in the whole language perspective.  I am open (frankly as I believe the best
whole language people are....not closed contrary to popular opinion) but oh
well I won't try to explain all that here.  Definitely qualitative as
opposed to quantitative from a research perspective. Some of us don't
consider in all this, the two perspectives on either end usually operate
from very different assumptions and perspectives and it's not very useful to
just try to mush them together.  That winds up like useless mush in my view
just as averaging doesn't give me very useful info as a teacher.

 Most of the others....well they have some good pieces sometimes.  Sometimes
it depends on who are the editors and their perspectives.  For example I
loved the Journal of Literacy Research with one team of editors who decided
it did not make sense to send qualitative research articles out to a
"balance of reviewers" or the reverse because each research paradigm works
from very different assumptions.  So they balanced out a different way
instead of "averaging" reviews which in my view didn't give the best of
either paradigm.

Just my opinion!  (but I am actually very happy with my position after 45
years of teaching and lost of education and lots and lots of both
theoretical reading and research and lots and lots of practice and putting
it to practice in my own often challenging teaching.

sallyh

On 1/21/10 2:10 PM, "Domina.Natasha"
<domina.nata...@north-haven.k12.ct.us>
wrote:

> May I ask why not #5?  All I know is Reading Research Quarterly.  I'd be
> interested in building my knowledge of other good journals.
> Natasha
>
> ------------------------------
>
> Message: 2
> Date: Tue, 19 Jan 2010 06:38:24 -0700
> From: Beverlee Paul <beverleep...@gmail.com>
> Subject: Re: [MOSAIC] Top 5 literacy journals?
> To: "Mosaic: A Reading Comprehension Strategies Email Group"
>         <mosaic@literacyworkshop.org>
>
> NOT # 5
>
> On Mon, Jan 18, 2010 at 5:58 PM, Mena <drmarinac...@aol.com> wrote:
>
>> Hi All, Just curious what others think...what are the top 5 reading
>> journals for literacy research in your opinion?
>>
>> Here's what I have ...I need only 5...
>> 1)     Reading Research Quarterly (IRA) (alsopublish Journalof
Adolescent &
>> Adult Literacy)
>> 2)     Reading Research and  Instruction (CRA soon to be Literacy
>> Researchand
>> Instruction)
>> 3)      Journalof Literacy Research? (NRC has Peter Afflerbach,
Michael
>> Pressley, Donna E. Alvermann) Official Journal ofThe Literacy Research
>> Association, formerly The National Reading Conference
>> 4)     Language Arts (NTCE)
>> 5)      ScientificStudies of Reading (Distinguished Scientific
Contribution
>> (Keith Stanovich 2000 Linnea Ehri 2002Charles Perfetti 2004 Richard K.
Olson

<yingli...@frontiernet.net<lt%3byingli...@frontiernet.net>

<lt%3bmos...@literacyworkshop.org>>