I am so happy that this issue has come up for others besides myself. However,
administrators who push summative assessments aren't the only resistance to the
workshop approach. There have been some administrators who have dismissed the
workshop approach as not appropriate pedagogy for implementing the CCSS.
Ironically, I know that Lucy Calkins is in high demand presenting around the
country speaking on how the workshop approach IS the best practice and pedagogy
for implementing CCSS. For example some critics have said that the workshop
approach doesn't meet the text complexity shift.I think you should get Lucy's
book on "Pathways to the Common Core". This supports the workshop approach for
meeting those CCSS! And most states are implementing these standards and PARCC
summative testing.  However, I can't think of any other approach to teaching
the deeper understandings in the ELA CCSS shifts without utilizing a workshop
approach.  From, Dr. M.

Philomena Marinaccio, Ph.D.
Florida Atlantic University
Dept. of Teaching and Learning