I wanted to share a "program" called In2books with you all.  I think it may
have been on this list serve that I first heard about it.  It's an amazing
program that pairs a student with an adult pen pal.  The pen pals have been
vetted.  Each student receives 5 books which cover 5 genres.  This year we
started with fiction.  We had a list of 5 books the students could choose from,
and the teacher could change the student selection.  The student and the pen
pal read the same book, and then using the computer which has lots of helpful
info, they each write a letter.  The teacher is the "gate-keeper" who reads
each letter and approves them.  So as the teacher I read each students letter
and approve it, plus I read each pen pal's letter and approve them.  It's a
little work, but so worth it.  After the whole class finishes a book and has
written their letter, we move on to the next genre.  This all ties in with
response to literature, which is key
 for my fourth graders, and also ties in with common core standards. I'm
convinced it helped my student's test scores last year.   It's worth looking
into.  Nina Zolt is the person to contact.  Her email is nz...@corpepal.com.
You can go to In2books.com to check out the site.
Thanks,
Brenda
4th grade teacher who loves the program