Hello Fellow Lovers of Literacy!
I have been given a wonderful opportunity to design a K-12 Writing
Curriculum (aligned with CCSS/PARCC) for a small, rural school district in AZ.
Our
goal is to design a curriculum that truly allows students to graduate high
school with the skills to be successful in both college and the work place.
 We want to create a backwards  design…with college and career skills
driving the instruction down to  kindergarten. There is really nothing in this
district and little to no  money.  I’m very excited about this  opportunity.
I know I can’t do this  alone and I’m hoping you’ll be willing to give me
any advice, suggestions,  ideas, etc. you may have.  Here are  a few of my
initial questions:
1.  Do you have  suggestions on how to put together a successful cadre of
teachers?
2. What does a cadre “design” look like that is productive and  inclusive?
3.  What types of “PD”  do you feel are engaging designs?  (For example:
meeting with teachers once a month with follow ups and  continual training
throughout the year).
4. Curriculum design itself:  Essential skills?  Scaffolded
ideas/curriculum?  Resources?
I’m sure I will have many more questions as I engrain myself in  this
project.  Thank you in advance  for all of your suggestions and ideas!!
Ali Conant, Ed.D