Hi Vito

Yes, that's basically what happens, and you're right that "tuneable=false" can be harmful to MERT - hence my warning. I've heard of people trying to keep the weights of a language model fixed through it, and this didn't work at all.

MERT (but not MIRA) also supports the option "-o" to define which features to optimize, and mert-moses.perl accepts the option "--activate-features" to do the same (it then passes the list of features to MERT). This may be more suitable for some cases.

Code contributions for a better way of having fixed weights (that also works for PRO and MIRA) are welcome.

best wishes,
Rico