From: Minnesota Birds on behalf of Clay Christensen
Sent: Mon 12/22/2008 11:17 AM
To: MOU-NET@LISTS.UMN.EDU
Subject: [mou-net] Eskimo Curlew Program Jan 8 2009

The Search for the Eskimo Curlew: From New Brunswick Bogs to Argentine Pampas

Bob Russell, Wetland Bird Biologist for the U.S. Fish and Wildlife Service

January 8, 2009

One of the great mysteries in the world of birds is the lack of attention paid
to a dwindling species, the Eskimo Curlew. At one time it was one of the most
numerous birds in North America, now it hovers on the brink of extinction. In
fact, many treat its extinction as inevitable, pointing to the few sightings
since the 1960s.

But Bob Russell and others think there's room for hope. Some believe the curlew
still could persist in the vastness of the Argentine pampas and North American
arctic.

Russell, who has led two Maritimes expeditions in search of the curlew and has
surveyed habitat in Argentina, will describe the bird's history and decline due
to market hunting in the 1800s. He'll discuss the curlew's far-flung migration
route, discuss sightings and searches as well as the bird's former stopover and
wintering sites. "I'll also note the top 10 sites to look for this species,
should anyone wish to mount their own search," Russell adds.

Bird lovers everywhere are invited to this free Saint Paul Audubon program at
7:00 p.m. on Thursday, January 8 at Fairview Community Center, 1910 West County
Road B in Roseville, just west of Fairview Avenue. The event is open to the
public, with free parking. Come at 6:45 for the social hour and refreshments.

Birdlovers everywhere are invited to this St. Paul Audubon Program on Thursday,
January 8, 2009 at 7 p.m. at the Fairview Community Center, 1910 West County
Road B in Roseville, just west of Fairview Avenue. Free parking is available on
site; come at 6:45 for the social time and snacks.

Relevant web site: www.npwrc.usgs.gov/resource/birds/curlew/index.htm#contents

[end]