It appears that there is a massive overwintering effort by American Robins in southern MN this winter. I have been seeing several flocks daily in the Mankato/St. Peter area (total probably around several hundred birds), and they seem to be just as common in the Twin Cities judging from the CBC results I've seen thus far. There are usually several locations in southern MN each winter that attract overwintering robins, but so far this winter the robins are literally everywhere.

My question is this: is this something new, or have there been similar overwintering efforts in the past?

If you have any relevant information about this, please share! Thanks.

Bob Dunlap, Nicollet County