There is still plenty of room for participants on the May 30-31 MOU field trip in Blue Earth, Brown, and Nicollet counties. I know that this is prime time to be up along the North Shore in Duluth and Grand Marais, or at Agassiz NWR in the northwest, but why not go for a change of scenery this year?

The "bend" in the Minnesota River is seriously underbirded, but those of us who live here know that this area is as rich in avian diversity as anywhere else in the state. In fact, at the end of May, any one of these counties easily deserves a birding weekend unto itself. But since we only have the one weekend to bird Blue Earth, Brown, and Nicollet counties, you know that Chad Heins, Brian Smith, and I are going to show you the hotspots to maximize your birding experience.

Here's a quick list of what is to be expected on this trip:

4 Grebe species (on the same lake!)
Least Bittern
Black-crowned Night-Heron
20+ species of shorebird!
Eurasian Collared-Dove
Black-billed and Yellow-billed Cuckoos
Eastern Screech-Owl
Whip-poor-will
Cerulean and Kentucky Warblers
Louisiana Waterthrush
Lark Sparrow
Blue Grosbeak

And I'd say we have a better-than-average chance of finding any of these species:

Swainson's Hawk
Common Moorhen
Acadian Flycatcher
Western Kingbird
Loggerhead Shrike
Henslow's Sparrow

Not to mention that this area has seen its share of casual and accidental species, many within the past few years. What will it be this year? Come bird with us and find out!

If you would like to register for this two-day field trip please email me at rdun...@gac.edu. Specific details of the trip will be sent at a later time.

Bob Dunlap