After not seeing any redpolls for a couple weeks now at the Interpretive Center's feeders here at Gustavus Adolphus College in St. Peter, I was surprised just a few minutes ago to see a single Hoary Redpoll at the thistle feeders hanging from a shepherd's hook pole behind the Interpretive Center. The bird appears to be a female; characteristics that caught my eye immediately were pale overall plumage, no visible undertail streaking, white rump (as I saw it fly up to a nearby tree), and a small, stubby bill. I was able to take a few photographs before the bird took off. Not sure if it will hang around, but I'll keep watching. The only other birds that have been coming to these thistle feeders are Pine Siskins.

Bob Dunlap, Nicollet County

--
Bob Dunlap
Naturalist, Linnaeus Arboretum