Dennis and Barbara's observations of the interaction between the RTHA and PRFA
reminded me of an account relayed to me by fellow falconer Ross Dirks of Spirit
Lake, IA. He flew a Prairie a few years back and noted that she would
absolutely not tolerate a Red-tail in the area where she was flying. If she
were down on a kill, she would leave it to chase the Red-tail away before
returning to feed. Peregrines and Prairies in particular can become prey items
themselves if they are caught unaware by a Red-tail or Golden Eagle while
feeding. The observations are consistent with what one would expect.

Eric Harrold
Lakefield, MN