On a local bird tour here in SIoux Falls, SD, I once had a sweet lady along who asked several times before we headed out if we could see a Baltimore Oriole, as they "are so pretty." I told her not really a problem as it was early June and there should be some singing away along our route.

On our 3rd or 4th stop as we walked a forest edge trail in a city park, I heard a Baltimore Oriole singing. We all looked and looked for this bird as the lady became more and more excited with anticipation, as she could not hear it.

Finally, as this thread may have told you already, I found our "oriole"; it was a starling, doing a perfect--and I mean perfect-- Baltimore Oriole. Since then I trust very few bird sounds if I see or hear starling about.

We did find her an oriole a bit later. But I shall never forget that "oriole" singing.

Doug Chapman
Sioux Falls, SD