This afternoon I watched a presumed hybrid Common Goldeneye X Hooded Merganser
with the large flock of Common Goldeneyes wintering at Canal Park. I took a few
photos that can be seen at www.pbase.com/karlbardon
I have seen this hybrid combination five times previously in
Minnesota, including one I photographed along the Mississippii River between
Prescott, WI and Hastings, MN on 24 December 2007, so these photos are included
for comparison to the Duluth bird. Also present at Canal Park were a male
Greater Scaup (which has been wintering with the goldeneyes) and four Great
Black-backed Gulls.

Karl Bardon