The Buff-breasted Sandpiper was still present in the same mud area this afternoon. It came close enough for us the get some photos that we can review later to try and determine if it is an adult or a juvenile. Very windy and slightly raining so I figured the photos would be easier to study that than doing it behind a jumping scope.

From what I can tell this bird is within two days of being a record late
date. The latest seems to be a bird at the Sleepy Eye sewago ponds from Oct 19 to Oct 27, 2006. Maybe this bird will stay a couple of days longer. With the strong south winds forcasted it is possible. All the other species had mentioned were still there including 3 Bairds Sandpipers.

Dennis and Barbara Martin
Shorewood, MN
dbmar...@skypoint.com

----- Original Message ----- From: "Chad Heins" <oduna...@yahoo.com>
To: <MOU-NET@LISTS.UMN.EDU>
Sent: Monday, October 25, 2010 10:11 AM
Subject: [mou-net] Blue Earth County Sunday

We skirted the northwestern corner of Perch WPA heading east on County Road 168. We had a Northern Shrike here on our way home. We continued east on CR168 past Lakewood Road until the road took a little dip. The south side of the road has been flooded twice this year so there is lots of mud, some water,
and lots of  shorebird habitat.  We had numerous Wilson's Snipe, a Greater
Yellowlegs, a Baird's Sandpiper with a limp, a Least Sandpiper, and an
extremely late Buff-breasted Sandpiper. We also had about 200 Killdeer and lots of American Golden-Plovers. When we first pulled up, there were 39 and some gulls flushed some of the flock and they winged their way out of there.
When we returned later on our way home, we thought there were  more than
before.  I counted 102 resting in the mud!