Early this morning I found a pristine adult male Common Goldeneye X Hooded
Merganser hybrid among 460 Common Goldeneye at Canal Park in Duluth, and then
this evening while birding with Peder Svingen at the same location, he spotted
an adult male Common Goldeneye X Barrow's Goldeneye. Individuals of these
two hybrid combinations were seen at this location last winter with the
wintering goldeneyes, but the two birds found today appear to be different
individuals than seen last year. We are hoping to obtain some photos. Although
the Common X Barrow's is fairly subtle, the Common Goldeneye X Hooded Merganser
is a fancy looking bird and worth a look!

Karl Bardon
Duluth, MN