While gull watching in Duluth today, I encountered a bewildering number of
Iceland and Thayer’s Gulls: no fewer than 33 different individual Iceland and
Thayer's Gulls were seen! This total includes 23 Thayer's Gulls (7 adults, 3
third-cycles, 3 second-cycles, and 10 first-cycles), at least 8 birds showing
strong features of Iceland Gull (5 adults, 1 fourth-cycle, 1 second-cycle, and
1
first-cycle), plus both an adult and a second-cycle Iceland/Thayer's Gull
intergrade/hybrid (some authorities consider these two species to be
conspecific, and many do not agree on the characteristics necessary to identify
them- as expected for a mid-continent location, many of the Iceland and
Thayer’s
Gulls observed in Duluth show potential introgression). In any case, these are
record high counts for these two species in Minnesota. Most of this count was
accomplished by analyzing photographs taken of each individual (for example,
although I only saw a maximum of 3 first-cycle Thayer’s Gulls at one time, I
have photographs of 10 different first-cycle birds taken today).
Also observed in Duluth today were 3 Great Black-backed Gulls (both a
first-cycle and a second-cycle bird seen at both the Superior Entry and at
Canal
Park, plus one adult seen by Peder Svingen at Canal Park), a first-cycle Lesser
Black-backed Gull (at the Superior Entry), at least 6 Glaucous Gulls, only 2
Ring-billed Gulls, and over 1500 Herring Gulls.
Karl Bardon
Duluth, MN