Even more!  thinking about this topic I realized I was forgetting my early
birding years in the Detroit, MI area.

*Yard*: Blackburnian, Bay-breasted & Chestnut-sided warblers from my bedroom
window!!!  For a kid trapped in a very urban area this was an awe-inspiring
sight!

On Mon, Jan 24, 2011 at 3:07 PM, Dan Jackson <danjack...@lbwhite.com> wrote:

> Yard:  Common Loon (calling flyover), Yellow-crowned Night Heron (adult
> landed in the top of a cottonwood in my yard) - I live in a valley in the
> driftless area 8 miles from the Mississippi, 20+ miles from the nearest lake
> and ½ mile from nearest tiny creek.  Rusty Blackbirds, Swamp & Lincoln's
> Sparrows under my feeders (still no water).  Kentucky Warbler (found a
> singing male in my back yard when I returned home from a successful trip to
> Wyalusing State Park that I made specifically to see my first ever of that
> species).
>
> Parking Lot:   Probable Smith's Longspur with a flock of Lapland Longspurs
> at a Blacksmith shop near Two Harbors, MN.  I got out of my car and walked
> toward the shop.  The flock of Longspurs landed between me and my car.  I
> had no optics or camera in my hand but one of the birds was a very different
> looking and larger female longspur.  Matched all the books but I only had a
> short look.
>

> Motel:  Black-billed Cuckoo calling from a bush at the edge of a parking
> lot at a motel near Bar Harbor, ME.  Clark's and Western Grebes seen while
> sitting on my bed and looking down out of my window at the Edgewater Hotel
> in Seattle.  Was really startled when a tugboat went by within 20 yards a
> few minutes later!!  (I was on the second floor and was at eye level with
> the captain).  Laughed when a Sea Lion started barking from the water under
> the hotel.
>
> Work:  Long-eared Owl, Whip-poor-Will, & Lark Sparrow
>

> Dan Jackson
>
> Chaseburg, Vernon County, Wisconsin (Near La Crosse)
>
> www.pbase.com/dejackson
>
> community.webshots.com/user/DanielEJackson

Sincerely,

Jim Ryan
Saint Paul's Westside
----
"A thing is right when it tends to preserve the integrity, stability and
beauty of the biotic community" - Aldo Leopold

“There has been a tremendous renaissance in nature study in recent years; it
has been called a form of escapism, and perhaps it is in a way, but not an
escape from reality; but rather, a return to reality; a flight from unreal
things.” - Roger Tory Peterson