Good topic, Al.

I live in a *very* urban area. Between two major thoroughfares. I can throw
a rock from my front yard and hit the firehouse (literally).

Over the course of a year, I may see something good during migration but I
tend to ignore the "yard birds" list because of my urban location and the
fact that I have changed residences far too many times. I have lived in no
less than 4 different homes in the last 10 years, even more as you go back
in time. A long, personal story.

That said, during breeding season, I'll hear or see:

*Chimney swifts
House Sparrows
Cardinals
Robins
House Finches
Chipping Sparrows
Crows
Starlings
Pigeons*

Occasional *White-breasted Nuthatch* and *Downy woodpecker*.

Used to hear *Nighthawks*, but not as consistent any more (sigh).

In the distance I may see a passing *Great-Blue Heron*, *Bald Eagle* or *Turkey
Vulture*. (I'm not far from the Mississippi River)

Best birds I've seen in my current location (of almost 6 years) - most are
migrants:

*Magnolia Warbler
Purple Finch
Baltimore Oriole
Red-eyed Vireo
Warbling Vireo
Red-breasted Nuthatch
Brown Creeper
Great-Crested Flycatcher
Cedar Waxwings* -come each winter to feast on hackberries for a week or so.
*Gray Catbird* - has come twice for mulberries about this time of year.
*Yellow-Rumped warbler*

In the past (at previous residences), my best yard birds are

*Screech-Owl
Cooper's Hawk
Sharp-shinned Hawk
Pileated Woodpecker
Flicker
Sapsucker
Swainson's Thrush
Goldfinch.*

These were urban locations also (within the city limits of St. Paul or
Minneapolis), so the "quality factor" of these sightings, relative to their
location is much higher, IMO.

--
Sincerely,

Jim Ryan
Saint Paul's Westside
----
One of the first conditions of happiness is that the link between Man and
Nature shall not be broken. -* Leo Tolstoy*

A well governed appetite is the greater part of liberty. - *Lucius Annaeus
Seneca*
----