The sky was full of Common Nighthawks at dusk yesterday.  We counted about
2 dozen on the west side of the Agassiz Valley impoundment.  The
impoundment has water - and shorebirds, cranes and waterfowl have started
to move.  A handful of White Pelicans and Great Egrets are still hanging
around.

The Middle-Snake-Tamarac Rivers Watershed District has opened the
impoundment to cars for wildlife viewing.  The new 1-way loop is an
improved gravel road on top of the dike.  Enter at the northwest corner
gate (210th Street NW) a mile south of MN Hwy 1 - and exit the dike at
200th Street.  The road is wide enough for 2 vehicles and there's a parking
pull-off at the 1/2 mile point.  Please do *not *drive off the gravel road
onto the embankment.

The remaining 3+ miles on dike is gated and closed to vehicles without a
permit.

However, the Watershed District will allow access to members of Agassiz
Audubon Society who volunteer to uplink their checklist to eBird.   If you
would like to participate in data collection, please contact me in advance
(via email) to make arrangements pick up the gate key.  Thanks!

Heidi Hughes
Warren MN

218.745.5663
http://www.facebook.com/AgassizAudubon