One of my favorite things I’ve found about searching for
shorebirds this time of year is that I never know what I’ll find on a day to
day basis.  Though that can lead to
completely striking out in spots, as long as the habitat is available then
there should be some things that turn up.
There have been a decent number and variety of shorebirds over the past
few days.   The most unusual birds though
were a group of 3 Red-necked and 1 Eared Grebe in a flooded field in Sibley
County July 6.   The water in the field
was deep enough that the birds would dive completely below the surface of the
water.  Until yesterday many of the
previously flooded fields in Carver County
had dried.  After the rain that occurred yesterday
evening in western Carver County and Sibley County(half an inch to an inch),
some of those dry fields had standing water again this morning.   We probably
need more rain for that standing
water to last more than a few days.

July 4
Carver County
Killdeer
Least Sandpiper 30

July 6

Carver County

Killdeer

Spotted Sandpiper 1

Solitary Sandpiper 2

Least Sandpiper 62

Sibley County

Killdeer

Spotted Sandpiper 1

Lesser Yellowlegs 20

Least Sandpiper 1

Pectoral Sandpiper 1

July 7

Carver County

Killdeer

Spotted Sandpiper 3

Solitary Sandpiper 12

Lesser Yellowlegs 12

Least Sandpiper 32 (Up to 5 birds were birds lingering from July
6 sightings.  The rest were arrivals in
the previous 24 hours)

Baird’s Sandpiper 9

Pectoral Sandpiper 1

Short-billed Dowitcher 1

Sibley County

Killdeer

Spotted Sandpiper 3

Willet 1

Lesser Yellowlegs 27

Least Sandpiper 16

Stilt Sandpiper 7

Unidentified peep species 5

Unidentified shorebird species 11

July 8

Carver County

Killdeer

Spotted Sandpiper 1

Solitary Sandpiper 1

Lesser Yellowlegs 1

Least Sandpiper 19 (Up to 2 birds lingering from July 7
sightings)

Pectoral Sandpiper 1 (different bird than the previous day)

Sibley County

Killdeer

Spotted Sandpiper 1

Solitary Sandpiper 5