Last year we had a number of Wilson's Snipes over-winter in spring feed streams
in Wild River State Park.  This morning on my way to volunteer in the Visitor
Center I stopped to check on snipes and within 30 seconds spotted a snipe in
the exact location along Spring Creek, in Wild River State Park, where 3 of the
birds overwintered last year.  I did not take time to look for more.   All the
smaller ponds and lakes have a skim of ice now and the river is forming ice in
places.  A little too early to make any assumptions about this winter, but this
bird certainly appears to be staged for another attempt at over-wintering.
Stay tuned...

Today's photo at:
http://web.stcloudstate.edu/rjstenseng/Photos/WISNfall2013.jpg

Wild River State Park is located north of Taylors Falls, Minnesota, on the St.
Croix River.

Rubin Stenseng
Wild River State Park Volunteer
Chisago County, MN