Peter et al.,

The softer honking you're hearing at night is likely Tundra Swans.  Snow
Geese have a sort of yelping honk, while Tundra Swans give a soft honk that
sounds a lot like a goose.  The swans are moving through in big numbers
right now, and they often fly in noisy small flocks at night.  I've heard
them the last three nights over my house, which is also in south
Minneapolis.

Matt Dufort
Minneapolis