Hello Birders,
Please consider attending this time-honored event, co-sponsored by
Minnesota Audubon

Saint John's Outdoor University brings you a day of hiking through an
"Important Bird Area" in Minnesota during peak migration! In the morning,
we'll stay on the 2,500 acres of Saint John's Abbey Arboretum and do all
our birding by walking. We have seen 100+ species in past years at Saint
John's. Early risers will be stunned by the abundance of birds active early
in the day.

Sitings in recent years have included: Gray-cheeked thrush, Cerulean
warbler, Mourning warbler, Eastern towhee, American Avocet, Harris sparrow
and more! View an index of bird
species<http://www.csbsju.edu/outdooru/abbeyarboretum/plantsandwildlife/birds>
that
have been spotted at Saint John's, and print your own birding checklists.
2013 Birding Day - 124 species
spotted!<http://www.csbsju.edu/Documents/OutdoorU/land_steward/plantsandwildlife/2013FinalBirdChecklist-124species.pdf>

Spring Birding Day Saturday, May 17, 2014Schedule
                                             Outdoor U Members         N
on-Members

   - *5:30 a.m. - 1:00 p.m.   *
   - *8:00 a.m. - 1:00 p.m.*

   - *$12*
   - *$12*

   - *$16*
   - *$16*

*Cost includes guided birding walks, continental breakfast at 8 a.m.,  and
buffet lunch at noon.*

   - * 1:30 p.m.**

   - * FREE*

   - * FREE*

* The 1:30 p.m. session is an optional guided trip to see the birds at the
Albany wastewater ponds.*
Register for your choice of one of the morning sessions, as well as the
optional afternoon session. Binoculars are available if needed. Dress for
the weather - we go rain or shine!

* If you are registering for the afternoon session ONLY, please use the General
Registration
<http://www.csbsju.edu/outdooru/education/events/springbirdingday/birdingregistration>
form.
 Schedule:

*(all tours start in Room 150 of the New Science Center - follow the signs)*
5:30 a.m.-8 a.m.

Birding in small groups at Saint John's (e.g. Boardwalk-wetlands; Deep
woods -Cerulean)
8:00 a.m. - 8:30 a.m.

Continental Breakfast - Room 150 - New Science Center
8:30 a.m. - 12:00 p.m.

Birding in small groups
12:00 p.m. - 1:00 p.m.

All you can eat luncheon at the Saint John's Refectory and group review of
the birds seen, led by Bob Russell from the U.S. Fish and Wildlife Service
and SJU alum.
1:30 p.m.

Optional birding to the Albany wastewater ponds with Bob Russell if there
is any interest following lunch.

--
Sincerely,

Jim Ryan
Saint Paul's Westside
----

Measure yourself by your best moments, not by your worst. We are too prone
to judge ourselves by our moments of despondency and depression.- Robert
Johnson<http://www.famousquotesandauthors.com/authors/robert_johnson_quotes.html>

<http://www.famousquotesandauthors.com/authors/robert_johnson_quotes.html>Courage
can't see around corners, but goes around them anyway.- Mignon
McLaughlin<http://www.famousquotesandauthors.com/authors/mignon_mclaughlin_quotes.html>