RESULTS OF THE FIRST WARBLER WEDNESDAY TRIP—80 SPECIES!
Seven folks joined Sparky for the first Friends of Sax-Zim Bog Warbler
Wednesday on May 21st. Cloudy, misty, cool and windy weather did not deter the
birders or the birds.

We began our trip at the Owl Avenue Welcome Center where we found a mini
Warbler-Wave that included Blackpoll, Black-and-white, Nashville, Redstart,
Magnolia, and a cooperative singing Black-throated Green (It must have seen the
photo in our previous Facebook post!). Also a young male Rose-breasted Grosbeak
put on quite a show, completely ignoring us and giving us great looks. Palm
Warblers and Lincoln's Sparrows were already on territory in the bog just north
of the Center.

On Owl Avenue Al Loken spotted TWO male Harris's Sparrows...a crowd favorite!
Then at the large fields at the corner of CR52/Arkola and Poplar, we found
SEVEN SHARP-TAILED GROUSE...5 were STILL DANCING near the Lek!

Other highlights included Golden-winged Warbler on territory, Bobolinks along
Zim Road just west of CR7. Stone Lake held a Trumpeter Swan nest and 5 adults.
Lokens found a Black-billed Magpie on the way to the Center and Myron Peterson
found a VERY LATE Rough-legged Hawk. Sparky had a hunting Great Gray Owl along
CR47 at dawn.

The biggest surprise of the day was a RED-BELLIED WOODPECKER at the Welcome
Center. Rarely seen in the Bog. Sparky also found a RED-HEADED WOODPECKER just
south of the Bog at the intersection of CR47 and CR7. And how can I forget the
WILD TURKEY we heard gobbling while on Admiral Road! (There have been sightings
this year).

We tallied 80 species in about 4 hours, including 10 species of sparrows and 14
species of warblers. Join us next Wednesday the 28th! RSVP to
spa...@saxzim.org. More details at www.saxzim.org
Sparky Stensaas
2515 Garthus Road
Wrenshall MN 55797