Hi all,
Friends of Sax-Zim Bog's second annual Bog BioBlitz highlighted the amazing
BioDiversity in Sax-Zim Bog.

Forty-some participants and leaders turned up nearly 300 SPECIES (!) of fauna
and flora during Bog BioBlitz II on August 2nd, 2014.

A beautiful day greeted folks as they met at our new Welcome Center. We divided
into groups and hit the Bog! Experts in the fields of birds, spiders, fungi,
wildflowers, butterflies and dragonflies scoured far flung parts of the Bog.
All met back at noon to share their findings and discoveries.

Amazingly, we turned up several new species for the Bog (the orchid Platanthera
psycodes Purple Fringed Orchid to name one) and even ONE NEW MINNESOTA RECORD!—
Tapinopa bilineata, a spider species found by Chad Heins.

And who says you can't find any birds in the Bog in August? We turned up Boreal
Chickadee, Sharp-tailed Grouse, Merlin, Connecticut Warbler and 69 other
species.
Mammals included Coyote, Franklin's Ground Squirrel, and a weasel.

Thanks to our volunteer leaders/experts: Kelly O'Brien Beaster (flora), Jeff
Fisher (dragonflies & damselflies), Larry Weber (fungi, spiders), Chad Heins
(spiders, birds), Kim Eckert (birds), Ben Yokel (birds), Sparky Stensaas
(butterflies, insects, birds), Sarah Beaster (flora). Thanks also to Welcome
Center host Heather Marie Bloom.

Bog BioBlitz III will be June 2015...Mark your calendar!

 See MANY PHOTOS and more details on our BOG BLOG

http://www.saxzim.org/bog-blog/

 See the complete list of the nearly 300 SPECIES found here:

http://birdnation.squarespace.com/storage/FOSZB%20BioBlitz%20II%202014.pdf

Sparky Stensaas
2515 Garthus Road
Wrenshall MN 55797