Sax-Zim CBC Results

Fri. January 2nd, 2015

This was my (Sparky) 29th year compiling the count…and it was a good one!

Thanks to all who participated in our annual Christmas Bird Count… Dave and
Jonas Benson, Tony Hertzel and son, Frank Nicoletti, Kim Eckert, Bill Tefft,
Susan (Bill and Susan walked 7 miles on a snowmobile trail!!), Chet Meyers,
Keith, Heidi Pinkerton and Lori Williams.

For those not familiar with CBCs, all birds are counted in a set 15-mile
diameter circle. Our center is at the intersection of CR7 and CR52.

HIGHLIGHTS included:
5 Great Gray Owls
1 Great Horned Owl (only our 5th recorded)
3 Northern Goshawk (all adults)
9 Sharp-tailed Grose (ALL at a FEEDER along CR29 south of Correction Line Rd on
east side)
2 Golden-crowned Kinglet
3 Boreal Chickadees
1 N Cardinal (NOT AT A FEEDER…in the woods on Nichols Lk Rd)
2 White-winged Crossbills (in spruce near Welcome Center)
3 Hoary Redpoll (NONE at feeders…2 along CR7 and 1 along Owl Ave)
39 Evening Grosbeaks (all at Morse's feeder on Blue Spruce Rd (Mary Lou's
feeders on CR444 is not in the count circle)
MAMMALS included Timber Wolf and Ermine (Loretta's feeders rib cages)

RECORD & HIGH NUMBERS
495 Pine Siskins (This BLOWS AWAY the previous record of 141 in 2006)
494 Common Redpolls (including a "scissor-tailed redpoll" (see photo on Friends
of Sax-Zim Bog Facebook page)
57 Purple Finches (HIGH…record 150 in 1996)

LOW NUMBERS
Only 10 Pine Grosbeaks!
5 Rough-legged Hawks

BIG MISSES
Snow Bunting (Let spa...@saxzim.org know if you saw any in the Bog during the
day)
N Hawk Owl (seen on 13 of 29 counts)
Black-backed Woodpecker (seen during count week)

33 Species (28-yr average is 28, Record is 35 sp. in 2008)
Low 4 degrees, High 12 degrees, calm, snow flurries and freezing drizzle, 4"
snow on ground, all water frozen

Sparky Stensaas
2515 Garthus Road
Wrenshall MN 55797