The first few migrant warbler have begun moving through Carver County for the
fall.  On August 6 I saw a Nashville Warbler and a female Canada Warbler at
Rapids Lake MVNWR.   On August 7 I saw a Northern Waterthrush and 2 Wilson's
Warbler at the landscape arboretum.   Fall arrival dates are pretty normal for
the Nashville Wabler and Northern Waterthrush, but the Canada and Wilson's
Warbler were 5-7 days earlier than my previous earliest arrival date for those
species.   Anybody wondering about my lack of shorebird posts this past July
compared to the past few years, there have been a small number of shorebirds
stopping over in Carver County this past month but nothing like the past few
years.   You can't see shorebirds if there isn't habitat.    There has
generally been either too much water(in spots that need dry conditions) or too
little water(in spots that need wet conditions.   And while we did get a lot of
rain in July, we need that rain to occur in May and June so that crops do not
mask any flooded fields.

John Cyrus