The Hawk Ridge fall 2015 season ended on November 30th, where we count all
birds seen migrating each fall in Duluth. The totals this season were
amazing, including over 76,000 raptors and over 500,000 non-raptors! This
is the highest raptor count since 2004, and the highest non-raptor count
ever, surpassing last year's record count of 358,000 birds by nearly
150,000 birds! To put some of our numbers in perspective, note that our
single best day ever occurred this fall on 1 September 2015 when 91,667
non-raptors were seen, which is more birds than the entire first season in
2007 when I started trying to count all the birds that pass Hawk Ridge,
essentially by myself. Now these same counts take an entire team of
observers, so I am deeply indebted to the skills of fellow counters Alex
Lamoreaux, Kaija Gahm, Steve Kolbe and many others who make these
impressive totals a reality. Many seasonal and daily records were set for a
variety of birds this fall, but the most relevant to the upcoming winter
season is the record invasion of over 67,000 Common Redpolls counted
passing through Duluth. I prepared a season summary with photos that can be
viewed at the Hawk Ridge blog (http://hawkridgeblog.blogspot.com)

Karl Bardon
Count Director
Hawk Ridge Bird Observatory