We spent a night in Lake Shetek S.P. from Sunday, May 15 to Monday, May 16
and took two extended walks--an evening walk along the lake through moist
woods, then past a pond and through a prairie; then an early morning walk
all around Loon Island (no loons there; got the name via a mix-up with
cormorants).  We counted over 50 species, most notably:
blue-winged teal, lesser scaup, American white pelican, double-crested
cormorant, sora (a beautiful male in full view), American coot, lesser
yellowlegs, spotted sandpiper, FOY Eastern wood-pewee, great crested
flycatcher, FOY Eastern kingbird, FOY warbling vireo, tree and N.
rough-winged swallow, house wren, Eastern bluebird, FOY Swainson's thrush
(lots of them) and at least one gray-cheeked thrush, yellow-rumped warbler,
yellow warbler (lots), American Redstart, some other warbler (Nashville?),
chipping and white-throated sparrow, rose-breasted grosbeak, FOY Bobolink,
Baltimore oriole (lots), plus the regulars. Wonderful dawn concert!

On the way there and back (Hwy. 14) we saw lots of yellow-headed blackbirds
(FOY) in the cattails along the road.

Sue Nevin
St. Paul, MN