Hi All!
Time again for our annual Bog Bioblitz...number IV. Can we beat our 400 species
recorded last year? Join us to find out!

Bog to Ridge—Bog BioBlitz IV

Have you ever wanted to join an expert in your favorite subject in the field in
the Sax-Zim Bog? Now's your chance! On Saturday July 16 we've gathered together
experts in many natural history fields;

Dragonflies and damselflies will be the target for Dave Grosshuesch and Jim Lind

Jerry McCormack will be pursuing Butterflies and Ladybird Beetles (ladybugs!)

Clinton Nienhaus's seine nets will hopefully turn up some of the fascinating
small and colorful fish of the Bog

Wildflowers will be sought out by Kelly Beaster

Chad Heins will be collecting and sharing spider knowledge

Bill Tefft will be taking folks on a general bog stomp and looking at
everything they find!
FREE TO ALL!

SATURDAY July 16: Sax-Zim Bog BioBlitz

SCHEDULE:

6:00 am-Noon: Birds of the Bog (Meet at Welcome Center by 5:45am)

9:00 am-2:00 pm: FIELD TRIPS: All other field trips (Meet at Welcome Center by
8:45am)
[dragonflies, butterflies, wildflowers, fishes, spiders, bog stomp, and more]
2:30pm or so: Compilation of all discoveries

2:30-3:30pm: COMPILATION: Stick around to visit with the trip leaders and
see/hear what they found. Leaders will be bringing back some fishes, flora,
spiders, butterflies, moths, dragonflies to show.

7:00-8:00 pm: "In a Patch of Goldenrods" presented by Larry Weber. Part of a
BioBlitz is to explore and appreciate all of the biodiversity that inhabits one
space. Larry Weber takes that idea to the next level, by looking at the
biodiversity in one small area: a patch of goldenrod! Citizen science is at the
heart of a BioBlitz, but observation of your own backyard can be just as
exciting and rewarding! Join us for a fun presentation to learn a little more
about what can be found in a small patch of goldenrod. The Evening Program will
be at Bagley Nature Center on the UMD Campus [This is the small building
overlooking Rock Pond off St. Marie Street (on UMD Campus)]

SUNDAY July 17: Hawk Ridge Nature Reserve

Have you ever wanted to join an expert in your favorite subject in the field?
Or are you perhaps curious as to what is along your favorite hiking trail? On
Sunday July 17 we've gathered together local experts in many natural history
fields to lead some general natural history hikes at Hawk Ridge Nature Reserve!
These hikes will serve two purposes: First, to introduce  trip participants to
the biodiversity of the Hawk Ridge Nature Reserve and secondly, to gather
important species observations for the Hawk Ridge Nature Reserve speices list!
Group leaders will each be taking groups down one of the many colored coded
trails through the nature reserve, looking for plants, insects, birds, and
perhaps even a reptile or two!

SCHEDULE:
9:00 am- 1:00 pm: Field Trips (Sparky Stensaas, Larry Weber, Bill Tefft,
Clinton Nienhaus)
1:30-2:30 pm: Species Viewing and Compilation
Field trips will meet at the Hawk Ridge Overlook by 9 am and return to the
overlook by 1 pm.
**DON'T FORGET your sunscreen, hat, bug dope, lunch, water, rubber boots (or
shoes that can get wet (not all field trips will be entering the bog).
**No RSVP necessary. Just show up and join the group of your choice!

**QUESTIONS? email Clinton at natural...@saxzim.org

DIRECTIONS TO WELCOME CENTER ON OWL AVENUE (Also marked on our birding map)

Directions from Cotton, MN on US53...

*Go West from Cotton on CR52/Arkola for 11 miles

*Turn South (left) on Owl Avenue

*Go 1.75 miles (second curve) to Welcome Center

Directions from Meadowlands, on CR133...

*Go East on CR133 to CR229/29

*Turn North (left) on CR229/29

*Go North to T at Correction Line Rd

*Turn West (left) on Correction Line Rd

*Road curves North and becomes Owl Ave

*Go North on Owl Avenue for 2.5 miles to Welcome Center

Sparky Stensaas
2515 Garthus Road
Wrenshall MN 55797
218.341.3350