(Posted by Jason Frank <jmfran...@gmail.com> via moumn.org)

FOY Rough Legged Hawk about 1:30 this afternoon, hunting near Florida Creek
just north of
Lac qui Parle CR 12 and CR 13 approximately 7 miles west of US Hwy 75, 2 miles
south of
US Hwy 212.

Also saw (FOY) Northern Shrike perched along a power line at the same
time/location.

Worth noting: there are lots of American Kestrels and Snow Buntings in Lac qui
Parle and
Yellow Medicine Counties right now; more than I have ever seen at this time of
year.

Other observations:

Downy woodpeckers have emptied most of the goldenrod galls.

Great horned owls are courting; after sunset I can clearly hear 4 pairs in a
4-mile radius.

Still seeing Northern Harriers hunting over fields between Madison and Canby.

Creeks are open, as are some sloughs.

Saw a big mixed flock of geese (various Canada and Greater White-Fronted)
making their
way south on Monday, December 26. This is the latest date I have for southbound
geese in
Lac qui Parle County.

I have second-hand reports of frequent Snowy Owl sightings just over the SD
border,
between Ortonville and Milbank.