This is the Northwest Minnesota Birding Report for Friday, July 7, 2017
sponsored by the Detroit Lakes Regional Chamber of Commerce. You may also
hear this report by calling (218)847-5743 or 1-800-433-1888.

Once again the main stories are dickcissels, and the birds at the North
Ottawa Impoundment. Ron Erpelding, Herb Dingmann, and Mark Junghans took a
trip through northwest Minnesota this last weekend and found dickcissels in
Marshall, Polk , Red Lake, Pennington, Norman and Becker Counties, and there
were dickcissels at the North Ottawa Impoundment area also. Ron's group did
not find a dickcissel in Lake of the Woods, Roseau or Mahnomen counties, but
that does not mean they were not there. Wilson's snipe were found in every
county visited, and they saw American bitterns in four counties.

Starting with Grant County, at the N. Ottawa Impoundment , the two KING
RAILS were seen by many observers as recently as July 6. Other species
included BLACK-NECKED STILT  reported up to July 3, BONAPARTE'S GULL  seen
there on July 6, CATTLE EGRET, GREAT EGRET, WILSON'S SNIPE, and
YELLOW-HEADED BLACKBIRD  among many others. A COMMON GALLINULE  was found on
July 2 along the southern boundary of the impoundment. On July 5, Elissa
Gallien reported a WESTERN KINGBIRD and 5 GRAY PARTRIDGE  there. Brian
Bielfelt found two GREATER WHITE-FRONTED GEESE  at the impoundment on July
5. On June 30 Shelley Steva and I found an assortment of shorebirds there
including one WILLET.

In Traverse County, Brian Bielfelt found a GREAT EGRET along US 75 north of
Wheaton.

Shelley Steva and I visited Grotto Lake in Fergus Falls, Otter Tail County
on June 30 where we found nesting GREAT EGRETS, BLACK-CROWNED NIGHT HERON,
and DOUBLE-CRESTED CORMORANTS , most with very large chicks. Two TURKEY
VULTURES  were cruising overhead hoping, I assume, that some chicks would
fall out of the nest and die.

Tamarac NWR in Becker County reported a NORTHERN PARULA  there on July 4.

At Buffalo River SP in Clay County on June 30, we found the WESTERN
WOOD-PEWEE  still there.

In Norman County Ron Erpelding's group found TRUMPETER SWANS, LARK SPARROW,
and a SHARP-TAILED GROUSE  with her brood.

A RING-NECKED PHEASANT  hen with a brood was found on July 1 by Ron's group
in Mahnomen County.

Sandy Aubol reported a SNOW GOOSE  at the East Grand Forks WTP  in Polk
County on July 1. A EURASIAN COLLARED-DOVE  was found in Fertile on June 30.

At the gravel quarry in Red Lake County, on June 30, a COMMON LOON  with a
chick was found. Other species seen there were GRASSHOPPER SPARROW, ALDER
FLYCATCHER, LESSER YELLOWLEGS, and GREATER YELLOWLEGS. A EURASIAN
COLLARED-DOVE was observed at the south end of Red Lake Falls.

Ron's group heard a BLACK-BILLED CUCKOO  in Pennington County on June 30.

In Marshall county on June 30,  a SCARLET TANAGER  was found at Old Mill SP;
a NORTHERN ROUGH-WINGED SWALLOW  was seen at the Agassiz impoundment, and a
ROUGH-LEGGED HAWK  was also found in Marshall County.

>From Bemidji SP in Beltrami County, Arul Arasu reported BLACK TERN, GOLDEN
WINGED WARBLER , and HERMIT THRUSH  on July 2.

Noah Kuck observed two CASPIAN TERNS  on Pine Lake in Clearwater County on
July 3.

In Kittson County on June 29, Ron's group reported two BROAD-WINGED HAWKS,
WILLOW FLYCATCHER , and , on the east edge of US 59 between Halma and Lake
Bronson, two GRAY PARTRIDGE. A WESTERN KINGBIRD  was seen in Donaldson.

>From Roseau County, Ron reported RED-HEADED WOODPECKER, WESTERN KINGBIRD,
and WILLOW FLYCATCHER on June 29.

A RED-HEADED WOODPECKER  was found in Lake of the Woods County on June 28.

Please report bird sightings to Jeanie Joppru by email, no later than
Thursday each week, at ajjop...@mncable.net <mailto:ajjop...@mncable.net>
OR call the Detroit Lakes Chamber's toll free number: 1-800-542-3992.
Detroit Lakes area birders please call 847-9202. Please include the county
where the sighting took place. The next scheduled update of this report is
Thursday, July 13, 2017.

Jeanie Joppru
Pennington County, MN