(Posted by Jason Frank <jmfran...@gmail.com> via moumn.org)

Ron Erpelding and I were able to relocate the Western Wood Pewee at Big Stone
NWR at
9:50 this morning. It is in the woods along the river, just over the bridge at
the start of the
auto tour. We walked the one-way road through the woods and after half an hour,
we played
some songs but initially received no response. Just as we were getting in the
car to drive
around the loop, it started to sing, and did so for about 5 minutes.

The male Blue Grosbeak was refound as well, singing from the shrubby embankment
behind
the outhouses at the auto tour entrance.

Other species of note were American Redstarts, Yellow-Throated Vireos, Yellow
Warblers,
Warbling Vireos, Eastern Wood Peewees, White-Breasted Nuthatches, Chickadees,
Orchard
Orioles, Yellow-Headed Blackbirds, Yellow-Bellied Sapsuckers, Red-Bellied
Woodpecker, Field
Sparrow, Song Sparrows, Black Terns, Turkey Vulture, Bald Eagles, Pied-Billed
Grebes, Tree,
Barn, Northern Rough-Winged, and Cliff Swallows, Ring-Billed Gull, Herring
Gull, Common
Nighthawk, Sora, Wood Ducks, Ruddy Ducks, Cormorants, and Pelicans. And lots of
Coots.

Greater and Lesser Yellowlegs are showing up on mudflats around Yellow Bank
Hills, near
Nassau.

I forgot to mention that I'd heard a Common Gallinule yesterday, calling in
alarm from the
reeds at Pool 7.

Jason Frank
Lac qui Parle