(Posted by Jason Frank <jmfran...@gmail.com> via moumn.org)

This evening at 8:05 PM, a Whip-Poor-Will swooped in front of my truck as I was
cruising the
MN/SD border road, aka Laura Street, at its intersection with 110th St N (aka
LqP CR 50) just
about a mile north of Gary, SD. This would be just north of the point where
Monighan Creek
crosses Laura Street, a pasture with captive buffalo and a massive fallen
cottonwood.

Earlier in the afternoon about 4:00, I spotted a kettle of 21 Broad-Winged
Hawks and 4
Swainson's Hawks circling over the tiny town of Burr, which is NW of Canby at
the intersection
of 14 and E3.

The Ferruginous Hawk that's been lurking around Lake Francis just over the SD
border is still
around. Lots of juvenile Red-Tails remain in the area, many of them a lot
darker than we
usually see out here. Robins and Cedar Waxwings are busy gleaning the last of
the
elderberries.

Never in my life have I seen such a crop of wild sunflowers in Lac qui Parle
and Yellow
Medicine Counties; Painted Lady Butterflies are easily exceeding 1,000+ per
mile on the right
dirt roads.

Jason Frank
Lac qui Parle