Thanks for your report Jason. The potential link between your observations and
the decrease in bird sightings is very disturbing, to say the least. Big Ag is
slowly poisoning our air, water, and land, and there seems to be little we can
do to stop it.

My wife and I were in South Africa a few years ago, and visited several
vineyards just outside of Cape Town. What a world of difference in how they
view the land and wildlife when compared to the majority (but certainly not
all) of our agricultural community. The vineyards we visited had areas of
natural vegetation interspersed in the growing areas. There were also tall T
shaped poles spread at intervals throughout the vineyards. It was explained to
us that typically chemicals were not used in the vineyards, and they welcomed
wildlife since it was considered to be a natural part of the landscape. The
natural vegetation areas also provided cover for rodents, which would feed on
the grapes, so their answer was to provide poles in the vineyards which were
used as perches by Owls, which fed on the rodents and kept the populations
under control. We were told this works very well and is standard practice for
vineyards in South Africa. I can attest to the abundance of birds around the
vineyards. Much to the chagrin of my wife, I spent more time birding at the
vineyards than sampling the wines, most of which were excellent, as was the
birding. I don't know if these practices carry over to the growing of other
crops in South Africa, but it was certainly a wonderful experience to see the
harmony between nature and agriculture.

Paul Worwa