This is the Northwest Minnesota Birding Report for Thursday, December 14,
2017  sponsored by the Detroit Lakes Regional Chamber of Commerce. You may
also hear this report by calling (218)847-5743 or 1-800-433-1888.

Winter seems to have arrived in our area this week, but the temperatures
have remained pretty comfortable. Tonight , however, they are supposed to
dip and we may get a taste of below zero conditions. Birds are really busy
at the feeders today also. There are not a lot of reported sightings  this
week , probable due to the busy Christmas season, and the icy roads we have
been experiencing. There have been several snowy owl reports this week,
including one in Polk County, one in Marshall County, one in Beltrami
County,  and one in Red Lake County.

In Douglas County, both CACKLING GOOSE and CANADA GOOSE were reported on
Lake Carlos on December 13.

Sandy Aubol in East Grand Forks, Polk County, reported two HARRIS'S
SPARROWS, three NORTHERN CARDINALS, WHITE-THROATED SPARROW, and HOARY
REDPOLL  in the yard this week. SHARP-SHINNED HAWK  and NORTHERN SHRIKE
have also been visiting her yard.

In Pennington County this week we have seen a BALD EAGLE  cruising along the
river, and a large flock of COMMON REDPOLLS  were busy at our feeder this
afternoon. Three PILEATED WOODPECKERS  have been visiting our suet this
week- two males and one female.

A TOWNSEND'S SOLITAIRE  is being seen in Bemidji, Beltrami County as
recently as December 12. Beth Siverhus reported a NORTHERN HAWK OWL  and
also a GREAT GRAY OWL  in Beltrami County on December 10.

NORTHERN HAWK OWL , BLACK-BACKED WOODPECKER, RUFFED GROUSE, and
BLACK-BILLED MAGPIE  were observed by Aaron Ludwig in Roseau County on
December 9. He also reported flocks of PINE GROSBEAKS  in the city of
Warroad.

A GREAT GRAY OWL  was seen by Beth Siverhus along MN 72 in Lake of the Woods
County on December 10.

Please report bird sightings to Jeanie Joppru by email, no later than
Thursday each week, at ajjop...@mncable.net <mailto:ajjop...@mncable.net>
OR call the Detroit Lakes Chamber's toll free number: 1-800-542-3992.
Detroit Lakes area birders please call 847-9202. Please include the county
where the sighting took place. The next scheduled update of this report is
Thursday, December 21, 2017.

Jeanie Joppru
Pennington County, MN