This is the Northwest Minnesota Birding Report for Thursday, December 21,
2017  sponsored by the Detroit Lakes Regional Chamber of Commerce. You may
also hear this report by calling (218)847-5743 or 1-800-433-1888.

After a fresh blanket of snow, we are set to experience our first below zero
night tonight. Feeders have been busy, but the winter silence has set in
elsewhere. We continue to get reports of snowy owls this week. I have heard
of  several in Kittson County two of which I found myself this afternoon,
three in Polk County, two in Becker County, and one in Otter Tail County. I
am sure that these are the proverbial tip of the iceberg.

Beth Siverhus in Roseau County reported  6-8 SHARP-TAILED GROUSE, 2-3 RUFFED
GROUSE, 10-15 BOHEMIAN WAXWINGS, PILEATED WOODPECKER, RED CROSSBILLS, and
ROUGH-LEGGED HAWK  this week.

In addition to the SNOWY OWLS  I saw in Kittson County, I also found several
flocks of SNOW BUNTINGS, a COMMON RAVEN, and a BLACK-BILLED MAGPIE  there.
Larry Wilebski reported a flock of 100 COMMON REDPOLLS, and several SNOWY
OWLS.

In Polk County, the Grand Forks/East Grand Forks CBC recorded a record
number of species, including a BARRED OWL  on the Minnesota side. Sandy
Aubol reported 2 HOARY REDPOLLS, HARRIS'S SPARROW, and PINE GROSBEAK. Diane
Wales observed DARK-EYED JUNCO, HOUSE FINCH, and COMMON REDPOLL  on December
19. Leon Thoreson reported three SNOWY OWLS  on December 16.

The Fargo/Moorhead CBC also found a record number of  69 species including
on the Moorhead side in Clay County: GREATER WHITE-FRONTED GOOSE, SNOW
GOOSE, HOODED MERGANSER, AMERICAN COOT, AMERICAN KESTREL,  and WHITE-WINGED
CROSSBILL. The Bluestem Prairie CBC got 49 species including HERMIT THRUSH,
VARIED THRUSH, NORTHERN GOSHAWK, LONG-EARED OWL, SHORT-EARED OWL, BELTED
KINGFISHER, GOLDEN-CROWNED KINGLET, NORTHERN CARDINAL, RUSTY BLACKBIRD,
MEADOWLARK, WHITE-WINGED CROSSBILL, RED CROSSBILL, HARRIS'S SPARROW, and
HOARY REDPOLL. The VARIED THRUSH was in Hawley Township.

Steve Midthune reported  2 SNOWY OWLS  in Becker County on December 19.

In Otter Tail County, Wayne Perala observed many ROUGH-LEGGED HAWKS  and
COMMON REDPOLLS  in the Fergus Falls area. Other species seen on December 19
in the county included HORNED LARKS, LAPLAND LONGSPURS, TOWNSEND'S
SOLITAIRE, and one SNOWY OWL.

Please report bird sightings to Jeanie Joppru by email, no later than
Thursday each week, at ajjop...@mncable.net <mailto:ajjop...@mncable.net>
OR call the Detroit Lakes Chamber's toll free number: 1-800-542-3992.
Detroit Lakes area birders please call 847-9202. Please include the county
where the sighting took place. The next scheduled update of this report is
Thursday, December 28, 2017.

Jeanie Joppru
Pennington County, MN