Yesterday I and two friends returned to the location in the Lost Lake Peatland
outside Tower where we'd previously found both black-backed and American
three-toed woodpeckers (see Feb 3 post). We were fortunate enough to find both
species again, including a pair of American three-toed woodpeckers that we were
able to observe at length. One was especially cooperative, allowing Connor to
approach and photograph it from perhaps ten feet away as it flecked bits of
bark from a dead spruce just above eye level and slightly upwind of Connor.
That wind direction mattered became apparent minutes later when we heard Conner
mutter "I'm getting 3-toed woodpecker sawdust in my eye." We advised Conner,
that while he might have the makings of a good country song title there, his
complaint was unlikely to elicit much sympathy in the birding community.