This is the Northwest Minnesota Birding Report for Thursday, August 30, 2018
sponsored by the Detroit Lakes Regional Chamber of Commerce. You may also
see this report on the Chamber of Commerce website:
 <https://www.visitdetroitlakes.com/birding-report>
https://www.visitdetroitlakes.com/birding-report

There are signs of fall everywhere in the northwest now, not the least of
which were the several shivery, cold mornings this week. It has warmed
slightly, but it still feels like fall here today. Feeders are very busy,
as the birds stoke up for their long journeys. A few ruby-throated
hummingbirds remain with us, and Baltimore orioles are here also, but in
decreased numbers. A few common nighthawks are seen migrating from time to
time.  Rain that arrived this week has greened things up except in the more
sandy areas.

>From Elbow Lake in Grant County, Charlene Nelson reported an ORANGE-CROWNED
WARBLER  coming to the jelly feeder this week. She also has many BALTIMORE
ORIOLES gobbling down jelly. On August 24, she reported a WINTER WREN. At
the N. Ottawa Impoundment on August  24 , she found thousands of blackbirds
and a few sandpipers in the surrounding fields; at the impoundment, she
reported hundreds of AMERICAN WHITE PELICANS  and DOUBLE-CRESTED CORMORANTS.
In addition, many people have reported several SNOWY EGRETS, and many GREAT
EGRETS  there.

Charlene Nelson visited Tamarac NWR in Becker County on August 29 where she
counted more than 70 TRUMPETER SWANS, and eight COMMON LOONS. Also observed
were RUBY-THROATED HUMMINGBIRD, RED-HEADED WOODPECKER,  an  EASTERN
WOOD-PEWEE, YELLOW-BELLIED FLYCATCHER, two OVENBIRDS, AMERICAN REDSTART,
BLACK-AND-WHITE WARBLER, and PINE SISKIN.

Here in Pennington County, Allyson Engelstad reported SHARP-TAILED GROUSE,
RED-TAILED HAWK, and SEDGE WREN on August 29 in the southern part of the
county. On several days this week  I saw a few migrating COMMON NIGHTHAWKS
east of Thief River Falls. An EASTERN WOOD-PEWEE and PILEATED WOODPECKER
were seen on August 26, and today I spotted two TURKEY VULTURES  soaring
over the area. We still have RUBY-THROATED HUMMINGBIRDS  and BALTIMORE
ORIOLES  coming to the jelly and nectar. Several PURPLE FINCHES  show up
from time to time at the sunflower feeder.

The manager of the Roseau River WMA reported late last week that the Roseau
River is in drawdown. I do not know if that has resulted in shorebird
habitat. Most areas around here are too dry for the shorebirds, in sharp
contrast to the normal year when most areas are too wet!

Please report bird sightings to Jeanie Joppru by email, no later than
Thursday each week, at ajjop...@mncable.net <mailto:ajjop...@mncable.net>
OR call the Detroit Lakes Chamber's numbers 218-847-5743 or 218- 847-9202.
Please include the county where the sighting took place. The next scheduled
update of this report is Thursday, September 6, 2018 .

Jeanie Joppru
Pennington County, MN