Here are the results from our September 1 Western Minnesota MOU Field
Trip, focusing primarily on Lone Tree Lake just outside of Cottonwood,
and Swedes Forest SNA near the Yellow Medicine/Redwood County lines.
High water and lack of shoreline in Lac qui Parle and Big Stone
Counties forced me to restructure the trip. It was muggy as hell, but
we found some good birds and explored some excellent habitat!

With all the rain we've been getting, Lone Tree Lake likely has the
best shorebird habitat in the western part of the state right now.
Over a thousand shorebirds were present.

Our group of 37 recorded 78 species in total:

Red-Winged Blackbird
European Starling
Mourning Dove
Eurasian Collared Dove
Rock Dove
Barn Swallow
Tree Swallow
Cliff Swallow
American Crow
American Robin
Northern Catbird
Brown Thrasher
Blue Jay
Black-Capped Chickadee
White Breasted Nuthatch
Red Breasted Nuthatch
Red Headed Woodpecker
Yellow Bellied Sapsucker
Downy Woodpecker
Hairy Woodpecker
Red Bellied Woodpecker
Belted Kingfisher
Red Tailed Hawk
Northern Harrier
American Kestrel
Swainson's Hawk (Dark Phase)*
Osprey
Turkey Vulture
Bald Eagle
Double-Crested Cormorant
Pied Billed Grebe
Green Heron
Great Blue Heron
Great Egret
Caspian Tern
Black Tern
Forster's Tern
(All 3 terns together at Lone Tree)
Franklin's Gull
Ring-Billed Gull
Wilson's Snipe
Baird's Sandpiper
Semipalmated Sandpiper
Least Sandpiper
Pectoral Sandpiper
Stilt Sandpiper
Killdeer
Wilson's Phalarope
American Golden Plover
Greater Yellowlegs
Lesser Yellowlegs
Short-Billed Dowitcher
Hudsonian Godwit
American White Pelican
Ring-Necked Pheasant
Marsh Wren
House Wren
House Sparrow
Grasshopper Sparrow
Swamp Sparrow
Savannah Sparrow
Common Nighthawk
Chimney Swift
Canada Goose
Mallard
Gadwall
Green-Winged Teal
Northern Shoveler
Blue-Winged Teal
Cedar Waxwing
Least Flycatcher
Eastern Kingbird
Red-Eyed Vireo
Yellow-Thoated Vireo
Wilson's Warbler
Yellow Warbler
Nashville Warbler
Connecticut Warbler**

*Spotted by Ken Larson, Marsh Moreen, and Donn and Kathy Mattson,
along Hwy 212 between Montevideo and Dawson, on the way back to
Prairie Marsh Farm Saturday evening.

**Found and photographed by Ken and Avis Reed the evening of August
31, in the Montevideo city campground. We were unable to relocate it
there 24 hours later.

A big Thank You to all who participated!

--
Jason "U Turn" Frank
Founder and Vice President,

jmfran...@gmail.com
>From the Lovely Land of Lac qui Parle
https://turnstonecreations.smugmug.com/

Sent from my invisible blue Homing Pigeon