From: Vacek, Curt (DNR) [mailto:curt.va...@state.mn.us]
Sent: Wednesday, October 10, 2018 9:43 AM
To: Minnesota Birds <MOU-NET@LISTS.UMN.EDU>
Subject: Klages WMA Drawdown - Big Stone County

We are trying to put the finishing touches on a drawdown on Lake 14 (Klages
WMA) in Big Stone County (even the recent rains are challenging us). Lake 14 is
10 miles east of Ortonville on CR 64 (and one mile east of intersection with CR
23).  Easy viewing of entire basin right off CR 64.

As of 10/9/2018 the basin was 75% dewatered with several species of shorebirds,
dark headed gulls, eagles, pelicans and five ibis.  I have not had time to put
a scope to any of them, so I can't list them off by species and with these
temps, I don't know how much longer they will stick around.  They ibis have
been there for about a week now.

For what it's worth, this drawdown has been a gradual one that started over a
month ago.  While I was expecting more shorebird action earlier, numbers and
richness were not overly impressive.  There are maybe 100 birds now, and
surprisingly, that's the most I've noted onsite all fall.

Curt Vacek
Area Wildlife Supervisor

Appleton Area Wildlife Office
14047 20th St NW