At 11:45 AM today, I saw a first year Golden Eagle soaring about 200 feet above
the bike trail 0.5 miles east of the Spring Lake Park West Trailhead, Dakota
County. The bird was a rich brownish color with hints of gold, lighter in color
than a 1st or 2nd year Bald Eagle, with light tan translucent stripes under
each wing in a symmetrical pattern and a light tan patch at the base of the
tail. The habitat was a restored prairie with scattered trees. Spring Lake Park
Schaar's Bluff Trailhead is about 4 miles further east along the bike trail.
Earlier this AM I saw a Red-breasted Nuthatch in an extensive conifer grove 0.5
miles south of the Schaar's Bluff Trailhead and southeast of the bike trail in
the same area where I saw a pair of Red-breasted Nuthatches and a Great Horned
Owl on March 27.

Dave Zumeta