The birds, especially warblers, were scarce at Wild River SP during our 5.5-hour hike this morning.  We only tallied 10 species of warbler and 59 species total--our slimmest ever tallies for a May hike in this park.

Warblers:
Ovenbird - very numerous
Common Yellowthroat - 4
Golden-winged Warbler - at least 10
Tennessee Warbler - 1
Pine Warbler - saw 1, probably heard several others
Yellow Warbler - 6-7
Black-and-white Warbler - at least 15
Blue-winged Warbler - heard/saw 9-10
Nashville Warbler - 3
Northern Waterthrush - 1

No Redstarts, Yellow-rumps, Palms, Chestnut-sideds, Black-throated Greens, and others that we usually see there, often in good numbers.

Others species of note:
Scarlet Tanager - numerous
Indigo Bunting - saw/heard 5-6, FOY
Wood Thrush - numerous
Veery - 2-3
Swainson's Thrush - 2
Common Snipe - heard 1
Grasshopper Sparrow - heard 3-4, FOY
Eastern Towhee - heard several

To date this spring we've not yet had a good warbler day.  Our best day was on a relatively short walk along Rice Creek behind the Irondale School on 5/14/20.  That day we encountered 3-4 rather small waves of warblers of 16 species that we could ID.

Where are the warblers this spring--already passed through, still to the south, or not coming at all?

Ron Refsnider
Coon Rapids, MN