After two exceptional years for migrant numbers during the month of May  in
Carver County, I was due for more modest results this year.   Spring 2020 was
more of a reversion to the mean.  The March thaw began at a reasonable time
this year in early March, so waterfowl and other early arrivals returned as
expected.    Bird numbers throughout March weren't anything to write home
about.    In April bird numbers were not outstanding, but I do think numbers
then were the most numerous compared to normal of any month this spring.    At
the end of April and the very beginning of May, the weather did cooperate to
usher in a surge of migrants.  After that, the weather was about the worst
possible for the arrival of significant numbers of migrants for the first 1/3
of May.   The cool weather combined with too much storminess well to our south
held migrants in place, so many were very slow to arrive.   When they finally
began to move into the area in higher numbers by mid-May, the weather did not
cooperate to hold the birds in the area for long.  There was also still too
much storminess to our south that kept migration sputtering.   Many more birds
likely overflew the local area as well compared to the past two years.

If this were part of a long-term trend, my warbler totals this year would be
concerning. If this is a one-off and since I have had less impressive springs
in the past, then this year was slightly disappointing and better luck next
year.   Including all warbler species my total this spring is down 54.5%
compared to last year.  Excluding counts of the common  Yellow, Redstart, and
Yellowthroat, the total is down 48.9% compared to last year.    Keep in mind
that last year's totals were about as high as I expect to see here with 9 days
with 20 or more warbler species.  It wouldn't surprise me if I never see a
spring like that again.        Most of the warbler species that had a lower
percent decrease this spring are species that typically arrive to the area
slightly earlier than the others.

The most unusual species for me this spring all occurred relatively early for
the species.   On April 30 an Eastern Whip-poor-will was at Rapids Lake, and on
May 1 a White-eyed Vireo and Hooded Warbler were at Carver Park Reserve.
Beyond that numbers of flycatcher, vireo, and thrush generally ranged from poor
to mediocre.   A lot of that is because many were quite late in arriving.
While numbers of migrant Fox and White-throated Sparrow were relatively normal,
the numbers of migrant Lincoln's, White-crowned, and Harris's Sparrow were
terrible.   I believe this is the first spring in over 15 years that I did not
see a Harris's Sparrow.

Warbler species seen each day followed by cumulative migrant warbler counts
with the 2008-2019 average spring count in parenthesis(excluding Yellow,
Yellowthroat, and Redstart) and a comparison to spring 2019 totals following
that.

Before April 20- 1
April 25- 4
April 26- 3
April 27- 6
April 30- 8
May 1- 8
May 2- 10
May 3- 10
May 8- 7
May 9- 10
May 10- 10
May 11- 7
May 12- 12
May 14- 19
May 15- 15
May 16- 23
May 17- 17
May 20- 11
May 23- 22
May 24- 19
May 28- 6

Ovenbird 34 (37) (46.9% decrease from spring 2019)
Northern Waterthrush 52 (37) (11.9% decrease from spring 2019)
Golden-winged Warbler 21 (15) (48.9% decrease from spring 2019)
Blue-winged Warbler 46 (56) (44.6% decrease from spring 2019)
Black-and-white Warbler 58 (46) (19.4% decrease from spring 2019)
Prothonotary Warbler 8  (9) (60% increase from spring 2019)
Tennessee Warbler 89 (211) (70.1% decrease from spring 2019)
Orange-crowned Warbler 28 (18) (33.3% decrease from spring 2019)
Nashville Warbler 116 (82) (20.5% decrease from spring 2019)
Connecticut Warbler 0  (3) (personal high spring total of 14 in spring 2019)
Mourning Warbler 6 (11) (86.7% decrease from spring 2019)
Common Yellowthroat 142 (57.2% decrease from spring 2019)
American Redstart 147 (73.6% decrease from spring 2019)
Cape May Warbler 4 (5) (50% decrease from spring 2019)
Cerulean Warbler 1 (1) (no change from spring 2019)
Northern Parula  13  (12) (35% decrease from spring 2019)
Magnolia Warbler 21 (45) (85% decrease from spring 2019)
Bay-breasted Warbler 4 (6) (76.5% decrease from spring 2019)
Blackburnian Warbler 19 (24) (75% decrease from spring 2019)
Yellow Warbler 220 (59.1% decrease from spring 2019)
Chestnut-sided Warbler 23 (35) (81.5% decrease from spring 2019)
Blackpoll Warbler 14 (53) (82.5% decrease from spring 2019)
Palm Warbler 125  (112) (48.66% decrease from spring 2019)
Pine Warbler 2  (2) (75% decrease from spring 2019)
Yellow-rumped Warbler 575  (609) (28.5% decrease from spring 2019)
Black-throated Green Warbler 9 (13) (71.9% decrease from spring 2019)
Canada Warbler 10  (14) (79.6% decrease from spring 2019)
Wilson's Warbler 21  (36) (72% decrease from spring 2019)
Hooded Warbler 1

Warbler totals by location

Rapids Lake MVNWR 862 of 26 species
Carver Park(west of cty. rd. 11 only)  947 of 25 species

Other species cumulative counts

Olive-sided Flycatcher 1
Yellow-bellied Flycatcher 7
Alder Flycatcher 3
Willow Flycatcher 5
Least Flycatcher 54
Blue-headed Vireo 34
Philadelphia Vireo 3
Winter Wren 9
Golden-crowned Kinglet 128
Ruby-crowned Kinglet 246
Veery 13
Gray-cheeked Thrush 7
Swainson's Thrush 13
Hermit Thrush 32
Wood Thrush 5
Fox Sparrow 88
White-throated Sparrow 272
White-crowned Sparrow 3
Lincoln's Sparrow 12

2020 spring arrival dates

March 1- Cackling Goose, Canada Goose, Wood Duck, Common Goldeneye, Hooded
Merganser, Common Merganser, Killdeer, Eastern Bluebird, Lapland Longspur
March 7- Northern Shoveler, Gadwall, Northern Pintail, Red-shouldered Hawk,
Red-winged Blackbird
March 8- American Wigeon, Green-winged Teal, Ring-necked Duck, Red-breasted
Merganser, American Woodcock, Ring-billed Gull, Sharp-shinned Hawk, Belted
Kingfisher, Eastern Meadowlark, Rusty Blackbird
March 14- Sandhill Crane, Northern Harrier, Cooper's Hawk
March 15- Tundra Swan, Lesser Scaup, Herring Gull, Common Grackle
March 17- Merlin, Western Meadowlark
March 19- Canvasback
March 21- Greater White-fronted Goose, Bufflehead, Great Blue Heron
March 22- Redhead
March 26- Song Sparrow
March 28- Turkey Vulture, Double-crested Cormorant
April 4- Common Loon, Golden-crowned Kinglet, Ruby-crowned Kinglet, Winter
Wren, Hermit Thrush, Fox Sparrow, Yellow-headed Blackbird, Brown-headed
Cowbird, Brewer's Blackbird
April 5- Yellow-bellied Sapsucker, Eastern Phoebe, Field Sparrow, Swamp Sparrow
April 11- Blue-winged Teal, Sora, Great Egret, Osprey, Tree Swallow, Chipping
Sparrow, Yellow-rumped Warbler
April 15- Ruddy Duck, Pied-billed Grebe
April 18- Purple Martin, Barn Swallow
April 19- American White Pelican
April 25- Virginia Rail, Bonaparte's Gull, White-throated Sparrow, Henslow's
Sparrow, Black-and-white Warbler, Orange-crowned Warbler, Palm Warbler
April 26- Broad-winged Hawk, Northern Rough-winged Swallow, Blue-gray
Gnatcatcher, House Wren, Gray Catbird, Brown Thrasher, Savannah Sparrow,
Baltimore Oriole
April 27- Solitary Sandpiper, Greater Yellowlegs, Lesser Yellowlegs, Caspian
Tern, Least Flycatcher, Blue-headed Vireo, Sedge Wren, Clay-colored Sparrow,
Eastern Towhee, Nashville Warbler, Pine Warbler
April 30- Eastern Whip-poor-will, Lincoln's Sparrow, Ovenbird, Northern
Waterthrush, Yellow Warbler
May 1- American Coot, Wilson's Snipe, White-eyed Vireo, Grasshopper Sparrow,
Tennessee Warbler, Hooded Warbler, Indigo Bunting
May 2- Willet, Great Crested Flycatcher, Warbling Vireo, Bank Swallow, Northern
Parula, Wilson's Warbler, Rose-breasted Grosbeak
May 3- Cliff Swallow, Swainson's Thrush, American Redstart
May 8- Chimney Swift, Gray-cheeked Thrush, Common Yellowthroat
May 9- Marsh Wren, Prothonotary Warbler
May 10- Bobolink, Black-throated Green Warbler
May 11- Spotted Sandpiper, Green Heron
May 12- Ruby-throated Hummingbird, Blackpoll Warbler
May 14- Eastern Kingbird, Yellow-throated Vireo, Wood Thrush, Golden-winged
Warbler, Blue-winged Warbler, Mourning Warbler, Blackburnian Warbler,
Chestnut-sided Warbler
May 15- Yellow-billed Cuckoo, Red-eyed Vireo, Veery, White-crowned Sparrow,
May 16- Common Nighthawk, Orchard Oriole, Cape May Warbler, Magnolia Warbler,
Bay-breasted Warbler, Canada Warbler, Scarlet Tanager
May 17- Forster's Tern, Yellow-bellied Flycatcher, Willow Flycatcher,
Philadelphia Vireo
May 20- Eastern Wood-Pewee
May 23- Olive-sided Flycatcher, Alder Flycatcher, Cerulean Warbler
May 24- American Bittern, Lark Sparrow
May 28- Red-headed Woodpecker

John Cyrus