Although I haven't seen this nest, I suspect that they are green herons.
Black-crowned Night Herons used to be quite common in Central Park but I
personally have not seen any there for quite a few years.  That is not to say
they couldn't be there, but I have not seen or heard of any being seen there.
There are green herons that nest there so that seems the more logical choice.

Gail Wieberdink
Roseville, Ramsey County