Apparently, pigeons will eat hemp seeds. When the U.S. Congress first began
criminalizing marijuana use in the late-1930s (first by issuing a tax on
it, not actually criminalizing it), bird seed companies (at the last
minute) tried to interject, seeking an exception for seed production for
pigeons. They argued that the seeds were indispensible to the production of
healthy squabs; other seeds "changed the character" of the bird. (My source
is the sociologist Howard Becker's book *Outsiders: Studies in the
Sociology of Deviance.)*

- Jared Del Rosso
Centennial, Colorado (formerly, part-time in St. Paul and Cloquet)

JDR