The lead scientist on this project, Caroline Van Hemert, took a thrilling,
dangerous, triumphant wilderness journey with her husband in 2012,
traveling from Bellingham, Washington, all the way up to the Arctic Ocean
and across the Arctic National Wildlife Refuge, just the two of them,
walking, skiing, and in canoe and kayaks, with a few pre-planned drop-offs
of food and supplies via the US Postal Service and Van Hemert’s parents,
and she wrote an amazing book, The Sun Is a Compass, that came out last
year, and she gave me a really nice interview for my radio program/podcast.
She needed to make a big escape with her big journey after finishing her
Ph.D. research project. She didn't want to talk about this research much
because she couldn't scoop her own paper. But she did, on her journey, get
to see a whole family of Gray-headed Chickadees. She was a LOT of fun to
talk to, and it was so great for me to talk to her because I'd had a
chickadee with a deformed bill in my own backyard one winter and got to
track him after the extended tips of the bill broke off, and a year later
he ended up attracting a mate and raising young.

Best,
Laura Erickson
Duluth

On Thu, Oct 15, 2020 at 6:41 PM Kathryn Rudd <katda...@hotmail.com> wrote:

> This article was in today’s newsletter. It is alarming and heartbreaking.
> 😢
>

> https://blog.nature.org/science/2020/10/06/deformed-beaks-what-we-know-about-an-alarming-bird-disease/
>
> ~Kathryn Rudd, Eagan
>

> Sent from my iPad

Laura Erickson
Duluth, MN

For the love, understanding, and protection of birds
www.lauraerickson.com
www.patreon.com/lauraerickson

You were made and set here to give voice to this, your own astonishment.
   —Annie Dillard