Perhaps crossbills?  They can be amazingly tame.

________________________________
From: Minnesota Birds <MOU-NET@LISTS.UMN.EDU> on behalf of Susan Gilmore
<sgph...@mninter.net>
Sent: Monday, December 14, 2020 11:09:41 AM
To: MOU-NET@LISTS.UMN.EDU <MOU-NET@LISTS.UMN.EDU>
Subject: [mou-net] Need help with bird ID

I had the most wonderful experience this morning in my Golden Valley back yard
and now need help with identifying what I actually saw! I was walking into my
backyard when out of nowhere a group of 8 birds, 4 females and 4 males, flew to
my feet and started picking up snow and picking at the leaves under the snow
literally inches from where I stood. They must have been doing this for at
least 5 minutes before they quickly flew away.
A male junco joined them for a few minutes and they were approximately the same
size as the junco.

They were colorful birds which I had never seen before. The male had orange on
him and the females had more yellow or gold. Both males and females also had
black. My mind was racing trying to figure out what they were. Were they
Evening Grosbeaks but the males had orange and their bills were not a Grosbeak
bill. Were they Crossbills but their bills did not look like Crossbills and
again the males had orange on them & the females more gold/yellow.

After looking in my bird books they have similar colors to a Blackburnian
Warbler but those birds are not here in the winter.

I hope someone can help me ID them.  I can’t stop thinking about the experience!

Susan

Susan Gilmore
sgph...@mninter.net
612-382-1171