RECORD-SMASHING SAX-ZIM CBC!

Christmas Bird Count betters 34-year record high

Thirteen hardy souls birded in below-zero windchills to participate in the 35th
Sax-Zim CBC on Monday December 14. The low was ZERO and the HIGH was 6! Winds
in the 10mph range created a 10-below zero windchill. Sunny skies made the day
tolerable and the counters WALKED a combined 17 MILES (!!) in bitter cold
conditions.

Sparky has been compiling this count since 1986. Our 34-year average is 29
species and 987 individual birds. Record number of species (until this year)
was 37 in both 2014 and 2017. Could we manage to break the “40 Barrier” in 2020?

Not quite, but we managed 39 species for a NEW ALL-TIME RECORD!

1360 individuals were counted (5th highest total)

We had one species that has NEVER been recorded on the CBC before…It will be
revealed below (building suspense)

Individual species records included…

  *   564 Black-capped Chickadees (old record 541)
  *   2 American Robin (old record 1) Way to go Dave & Lars Benson and John
Ellis!
  *   1 Northern Cardinal (ties record; also had 1 in 2014) Thanks to Board
Members the Ollila’s for hosting this rarity!
  *   16 Wild Turkey (ties record from last year)
  *   1 Common Grackle (ties record; not seen since 2008) Sparky found at the
“Bison Farm”

Other notable sightings

  *   Clinton and Kristina found 3 Bohemian Waxwings (only 6th year ever
recorded)
  *   4 Black-backed Woodpeckers which is second highest total (7 in 2017)
  *   31 Canada Jays (fourth highest total ever, 46 in 2001)
  *   3 Northern Goshawks (possibly 4)
  *   1 Great Gray Owl (the “famous” bird on Overton)
  *   I thought we had a chance at the Evening Grosbeak record (203 in 1995)
but we ended up with a respectable 3rd place total of 112 (and Mary Lou’s
feeders aren’t even in the Circle!)
  *   10 Red Crossbills (3rd highest total)
  *   2 Brown Creepers (Clinton and Kristina at Winterberry Bog)
  *   Pine Marten at a bird feeder
  *   Moose tracks found by Lori Williams and Sarah Beaster
  *   and drumroll please…1 Red-bellied Woodpecker found by Sparky at a remote
farm (FIRST EVER RECORDED ON SAX-ZIM CBC) Okay, not that exciting for most
folks, but mega rare for SZB in winter.

FOUR OWLS outside the count circle (insert sad face here…TWO Snowy Owls, 1 N
Hawk Owl and 1 Great Gray)

Thanks to Lori Williams, Sarah Beaster, Bill Tefft, Abbie Valine, Frank
Nicoletti, Clinton & Kristina Dexter-Nienhaus, Dave Benson, Lars Benson, John
Ellis, Tony Hertzel, Tommy Hertzel and Sparky Stensaas.

SAX-ZIM CHRISTMAS BIRD COUNT 2020 TOTALS

11 Bald Eagle (1 juvenile, rest adults)

3 Northern Goshawk

4 Rough-legged Hawk

8 Ruffed Grouse

16 Wild Turkey (ties record)

1 Sharp-tailed Grouse (found by Frank and Abbie)

41 Rock Pigeon

1 Great Gray Owl

4 Black-backed Woodpecker

1 Red-bellied Woodpecker

16 Downy Woodpecker

21 Hairy Woodpecker

4 Pileated Woodpecker

31 Canada Jay

61 Blue Jay

8 Black-billed Magpie

36 American Crow

50 Common Raven

564 Black-capped Chickadee (new record)

6 Boreal Chickadee

29 Red-breasted Nuthatch

13 White-breasted Nuthatch

2 Brown Creeper

6 Northern Shrike

59 Eurasian Starling

2 American Robin (new record)

3 Bohemian Waxwing

1 Common Grackle

1 Northern Cardinal

1 Purple Finch

67 Pine Grosbeak

112 Evening Grosbeak

10 Red Crossbill

49 White-winged Crossbill

96 Common Redpoll

1 Hoary Redpoll

6 Pine Siskin

4 Snow Bunting

10 House Sparrow

Link to the Video about Monday's CBC (video of Great Gray Owl, Short-eared Owl,
Fisher, Boreal Chickadee, etc)

https://youtu.be/1Nx4NFyGygQ

Sparky Stensaas
2515 Garthus Road