Hi everyone, since i’ve been receiving inquires about the Washington County
Carolina Wren here’s an update and some additional birds to check for if you’re
in the area anyway... you know, for all you Jan. 1st birders 😉 (me included :))

Carolina Wren:  Still showing up at my Mom’s house very regularly in the
morning and evening at minimum, for the morning feeding I would say arrive by
7:25 AM, for the evening feeding arrive by 3:30 PM.  Park in the road, walk up
the driveway, go to the left of the orange garage, the bird feeders are in the
back yard.
1237 Summit Avenue
Saint Paul Park

Here’s some other good winter birds/spots in St. Paul Park or within a couple
mile radius worth checking out:

Merlin:  Seen in Saint Paul Park year round, I usually see him perched toward
the top of the biggest/oldest trees in this specific area (44.83.6636
-92.995972) scan in about a 6 block radius. In all directions.

Red Shouldered Hawk: RSHA regularly nest on a home owners property across the
street from the old Mississippi Dunes Golf course and have overwintered here in
the past.  Park here (44.799054. -92.974095), walk up road to either side of
creek and stand in the right of way area.  RBNU are also present at this
location.  Great habitat for a winter wren as well...

Northern Shrike
This location has hosted a wintering Northern Shrike for years now. (44.826861
-92.996844) Just park anywhere along the road and stand in the right of way.

Grey Cloud Island Gravel Pit:  This one is actually an eBird hot spot.  I was
just there yesterday and some of the water is still open and I observed 10
species of waterfowl.  Park here (44.786430  -92.973554).  Bring a scope and
park your self just behind the big rock by the fence and you’ll be set!

Gregory Jahner III
Saint Paul Park
Washington County